5th grade, Let's find/say the alphabet!
Name of Teacher: Devin Holloway
Class/Grade/Language Level: 5th grade
Textbook and specific lesson: Hi Friends 1, Lesson 6
Goal: Let's find the alphabet! Let's say the alphabet!
Preparation: Golden rules cards (Smile, clearly, good reaction, eye contact, gestures), Smartboard, Hi, Friends! Software, Alphabet cards with attached magnets, alphabet flashcards.
Class time: 50 minutes
Warm-up (10 minutes)
- Daily Questions:
- How's the weather?
- What time is it?
- What day is it?
- What is today's date?
- Golden Rules
- Smile Time:
- Have Ss walk around the room and greet at least 5 friends. After greeting, they should include at least one more question such as "What OO do you like?"
- [Note:] While Ss are greeting each other, write the numbers 1-26 on the blackboard at random. Try to draw as little attention as possible.
Activity 1 (30 minutes for activity 1-3)
- Review the alphabet using main screen of Hi, Friends! Unit 6 smartboard software.
- Have Ss make groups of 3-5, depending on class size. Draw alphabet cards at random. Ss should ask "What do you want?", to be replied to with "OO card, please". As a group, Ss are to find the letter within the picture on Hi, Friends! pages 22 and 23. Select one S to come to the board and point out the letter. If correct, their team receives one point. Keep score.
- [Note:] As the students are searching for the letter, have ALT or HRT place the previous card at random over the numbers on the blackboard.
- With all letter cards placed on the board, ask each group "What do you want?" Life the Ss requested card to reveal a number and add to their group score from the previous game. Repeat at least twice, as time allows.
Cool Down: (10 minutes)
- Ask each group how many points they received. They should be able to reply in English.
- Review alphabet once more.