5th grade, When is your Birthday?
Name of Teacher: Shenee Douglas
Class/Grade/Language Level: Grade 5 - Elementary
Textbook and specific lesson: We Can 1 – Unit 2: When is your Birthday?- Class 1
Goal: Learn months of the year and practice proper pronunciation
Preparation: Vocabulary Flashcards and slide show from We Can 1 Software
Class time: 45mins
1. Greetings – (How are you?, What day is it?, How’s the weather, etc.)
2. Introduce students to new target sentence – “When is your Birthday?”
3. Explain day’s goal - learn the months of year in English and the corresponding Japanese holidays
4. Vocabulary drill – Have students try to say the month first then correct their pronunciation. Break down the words into syllables for easier understanding. Repeat multiple times in a sing song style. Use software or flashcards.
5. Chant - Teach months of the year chant to the three little Indians tune.
6. Activity - Pointing game as explained in textbook and discuss Japanese holidays
7. Game - Janken Line game
- 1. Divide the class into 2 teams (having more than one set of cards would be better for large classes.)
- 2. Place the flashcards on the floor in a straight line.
- 3. Have each team start from opposite ends of the flashcards saying the months as they go along.
- 4. When the players meet, they most janken. The loser will turn back and a new player from his team starts. The winner continues along the line and tries to reach the end.
- 5. A team is awarded a point if a player gets to the other end of the line.
8. Review – quick drill of the vocabulary
9. Closing greetings – (Good job, see you next time, have a nice day, etc.)