From Kumamoto Lesson Wiki
- Name of Teacher: Christian Steger
- Class/Grade/Language Level: Elementary School 6th Grade
- Textbook and specific lesson: Hi Friends 2, Lesson 5
- Goal: Review country names in English & learn about famous places (world heritages around the world)
- Preparation: Materials: Greeting set cards, Alphabet Chant, Enjoy Phonics p. 8/9, Country flashcards, Country flashcard Power Point Presentation, Country vocabulary sheet, textbook p. 18&19, listening comprehension tracks
- Class time: 60 minutes
1. 導入活動：5 Q.: ~~曜日, 日付、天気、気持ち、時間
| 3 min
||Goal 2: Let's practice the alphabet (Enjoy Phonics page 8 and 9)|
- Practice the big letters of the alphabet with your flashcards; put the timer on 1 minute, start it and practice with the whole class first until the timer rings.
- Practice one more time and ask students one after another individually (1 minute). When the timer rings the student who was next becomes the new English teacher, comes forward and teaches the class 10 letters and the kids repeat after him/her.
||Listening: Alphabet Letter comprehension task
- Give students a handout of page 8 and 9 of the ENJOY PHONICS textbook. Explain about part B) and C) and do it in class.
- Go around and check students answers or help them. After 3 minutes check the answers with the whole class on the blackboard (電池黒板)
||Introduction(picture of Hi Friends 2 pg. 18 - 19)
- Before explaining about the new programme and new words etc. show students a picture of their textbook Hi friends II p. 18/19 and let them think for 30 seconds about today`s topic (Thinking time).
- Now, let them talk to their neighbour(s) for another 30 seconds and exchange their thoughts (Discussion time).
- Finally let 1 or 2 students paraphrase their thoughts in front of everyone before going into the new programme (Presentation time).
||New Words: country names
Let’s practice (review) the new words of programme 5
- Practice country words (vocabulary sheet of 5th graders)
- After each student got a worksheet of the new vocabulary start practicing;
- Practice reading the words at least 2 times. Practice with flashcards (or pictures) which show the name of the country in Japanese and in English and also the colours of the flag
|| Afterwards give students 1 minute for `silent reading` and then practice one last time with everyone and tell them not to look on the handout (Katakana). They can fold their paper so that they can only see the Japanese Kanji but not the alphabet nor Katakana.
||Next Activity: TIME-BOMB-Game* (3 min)
Todays grammar point is Goal 3: 「 これは（~~）です。」 を英語で言うと
This(ディス) is(イス) (~~国、場所、~~世界遺産).
||Let`s practice the new grammar structure:
- for practicing this grammar I show students pictures of famous places around the world (Hi, friends II, textbook page 18/19)(world heritages) and combine them with the names of the countries we practiced before.
- Practice the new grammar and let them repeat the key sentence. For example: “This is France. This is the Eiffel tower”, “This is America. This is the Statue of Liberty” etc. Also give short explanations (in Japanese) about the world heritage places.
||Listening Comprehension I
- Open your textbook to page 18 and 19.
- Pick up your pencil and eraser.
- Listen to aunt Kiyoko and Ms. Tananka conversation and write down numbers from 1 – 10 in the gaps under the country flags on page 18&19 in your textbook
IMPORTANT: Before they listen to a track I say No. 1, No. 2 … and the students write these numbers in the gaps. Listen to each track 2 times before checking their answers on the blackboard (eventually a volunteer an write down his\her answers on the blackboard)
| style="text-align:center;" |T-S