Let's Enjoy Halloween
Name of Teacher: Erika Bareng
Class/Grade/Language Level: 1st-2nd grade ES
Textbook and specific lesson: N/A
Goal: To encourage students and get them to enjoy listening to and using English, while educating them on Halloween.
Preparation: About 2hrs, prep bingo a, flash cards, history of Halloween, and prizes
Class time: 45minutes
This is a lesson plan for my “after school program” with elementary school students that I like to use for Halloween. The goal is to encourage students and get them to enjoy listening to and using English, while educating them on Halloween:
1. Greeting- Use the four questions (How are you? What is the day today? What is the date today? How is the weather?)
2. Head, shoulders, knees, and toes dance
3. Go over the history of Halloween (listening practice!) using a picture book or own lesson.
4. Warm-up- In phonics style, introduce Halloween vocabulary corresponding to the alphabet. For example, “Repeat after me! A “ah” apple! B “buh” bat!”
5. Test the students using a game. If you have a board, play the touch game, then the missing game. The touch game is when you have all the cards on the board, you say a word, and they touch it. The missing game is when you remove a card and test the class’s memory of the vocab.
6. Play Halloween bingo using the pictures used on the picture cards.
7. Lastly, let’s do trick or treat! If you’re allowed, use candy, and if not, use Halloween stickers!