Difference between revisions of "Rhyming"
(Created page with "'''Name of Teacher:''' Patrick Amano Dolan '''Class/Grade/Language Level:''' JHS 2nd grade - SHS 1st Grade '''Textbook and specific lesson:''' N/A '''Goal:''' Improve pronu...")
Latest revision as of 23:21, 2 December 2019
Name of Teacher: Patrick Amano Dolan
Class/Grade/Language Level: JHS 2nd grade - SHS 1st Grade
Textbook and specific lesson: N/A
Goal: Improve pronunciation and boost confidence through intuitive rhyme-reading practice
Preparation: Prepare worksheets and one “Green Eggs and Ham” booklet for every two students. Also, bring a wireless speaker to connect with your phone.
Class time: 50 minutes
Rhyming Intro (10 minutes)
- Explain the basic concept of rhyming.
- Play a few songs from popular artists (like Taylor Swift) as an example of rhyming to grab the students’ attention
Rhyming Practice (10 minutes)
- Read through each of the words in part 2 so the students understand the pronunciation
- Include words with similar spelling that rhyme and words with the same spelling that do not rhyme (emphasize pronunciation over spelling)
- Allow the students 3 minutes to connect the rhyming words
Reading Rhymes (25 minutes)
- Put students into pairs, hand out a booklet to each pair
- Introduce the story and explain the cultural significance of Dr. Seuss and Green Eggs and Ham
- Have the students read “Popcorn” style (each student reads about one page then passes to a classmate)
- Do not correct or help the students` reading (unless completely necessary). Allow them to use rhyming and their intuition to guess the pronunciation
Creating Rhymes (5 minutes)
- Have the students find 4 pairs of rhyming words from the story. Then, have them try to add their own rhyming word to fit the pattern