At 1:25AM, a magnitude 7.1 earthquake hit Kumamoto, centered around Kumamoto City Higashi-ku and Mashiki. There has been damage reported in Kumamoto City, Mashiki, Uto, Yatsushiro, and Minamiaso areas. The tsunami warning that accompanied the first earthquake has now passed. Similar to the earthquake on Thursday evening, aftershocks have continued throughout the early morning hours.
Thank you to all the JETs to responded to us or their tantoshas about their safety in the middle of the night. It made our job a lot easier to make sure that everyone was taken care of.
- Once again, the number for emergency services is 119 for fire/ambulance. 110 for the police.
- Many JETs have had to evacuate for this recent earthquake, as you return to home, please make sure to stay safe and be aware that aftershocks can still happen at any time. Do not return home if it is unsafe. Here is a handy checklist of things to take care of after an earthquake: http://www.cusec.org/earthquake-safety/what-to-do-in-an-earthquake/72.html
- You can refer to this site for information about local road closures: http://cyber.pref.kumamoto.jp/bousai/Content/asp/topics/topics_detail.asp?PageID=14&ID=1170&type=1. Expect road closures in the earthquake affected areas.
- At the moment, JR Kyushu trains are not running in Kumamoto. Updates will be posted here: http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/trains/unkou.jsp
The expressway is closed all throughout Kumamoto. The closures extend as far north as Fukuoka and just a little past Ebino to the south.Highway update: The expressway is now open from Ueki going north towards Fukuoka. Everything else is closed (all the way to Ebino). You can find the closure map here: http://ihighway.jp/pc/map/map.html?area_id=area_09
- For technical information on the various aftershocks: http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/quake_singen_index.html
- You can also tune into NHK World for updates about the earthquake in English: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/
(From FB Posts on Saturday evening)
Latest warnings and advisories as of 9:30PM (courtesy of Kumamoto Pref Disaster Prevention System: http://www.bousai.pref.kumamoto.jp/GmnDsp.exe?M600)
– Heavy rain warning in effect for all of Kumamoto Prefecture.
– High wind warning still in effect for all of the Aso region and Amakusa City and Reihoku Town.
– Flood advisories are in effect for all of Kumamoto Prefecture.
– High wind advisories are in effect for all parts of Kumamoto Prefecture except Aso region, Amakusa City, Reihoku Town, and Kuma region.
– High wave advisories are in effect for Arao City, Tamana City, Nagasu Town, Yatsushiro City, Uki City, Uto City, Hikawa Town, and all of the Amakusa and Ashikita regions.
– Thunder advisories are in effect for all of Kumamoto Prefecture.
Current evacuation statuses as of 9:30PM (from NHK Kumamoto –http://www5.nhk.or.jp/saigai/kumamoto/ev/f/index.html#43 and Yahoo! Japan http://crisis.yahoo.co.jp/evacuation/43/):
Prepare for Evacuation (be prepared to evacuate):
Amakusa City, Kamiamakusa City, Yamato Town
Evacuation Advisory (recommended to proceed to evacuation point):
Kikuchi City, Uki City, parts of Yatsushiro City, parts of Aso City, Misato Town, Minamioguni Town, Oguni Town, Kosa Town
Evacuation Order (please proceed to evacuation point):
Parts of Nishihara Village, Parts of Minamiaso Village