“There is/are” Draw My Bedroom activity
Name of Teacher: S. Hadijah Mohd
Class/Grade/Language Level: JHS 2nd Grade
Textbook and specific lesson: New Horizons 2 / Unit 6
Goal: To listen to and draw out the sentences read aloud by the teacher
- Empty bedroom template for students: Draw My Bedroom Template
- 10 sentences using the target language
- An image of what the bedroom should look like to compare with the student’s drawings after the activity
Class time: 15 minutes
- Write a list of 10 sentences beginning with “There is/are…” to describe what is in your imaginary bedroom.
- The sentences should start off realistic (e.g. There is a bed next to the left wall.) and get funnier (e.g. There is a baby elephant sitting on the bed.).
- After practicing the target language, give students the empty bedroom template and tell them to draw what you say.
- Read each sentence aloud and get students to compare their drawings with one another and with the image you prepared.
- Give students an extra empty bedroom template and get them to work in pairs.
- Students must ask each other “Is/Are there… in your bedroom?” and draw their partner’s imaginary bedroom.